Friday, January 18, 2008

I am a doughnut! (a jelly doughnut, to be exact)

I just celebrated the New Year in Germany the traditional way - with jelly doughnuts, known as "Berliners" (because they originated in Berlin). And oh my golly were they yummy. I had to fight off the strong desire to have another.

I feel like JFK on his 1963 visit to Berlin, when he triumphantly declared, "Ich bin ein Berliner," meaning to say that he was one with the people of Berlin, or a citizen of Berlin. But some interpreted his words to mean "I am a jelly doughnut." (The critics say he should have said, "Ich bin Berliner" - whatever!)

But after eating that delicious doughnut, I am definitely feeling one with the people of Edelman Hamburg who brought me this tasty late afternoon treat and, um, cultural experience.



No comments: