Thursday, August 07, 2008

Summer Balance & Writer's Block

Sorry people, but I have had a major case of writer's block lately. 

Or maybe it's just laziness. 

I have not properly reported yet on my trip to Croatia (um, which happened a year ago), nor my adventures in Vietnam (April).  Both posts are three-fourths written, but I can't seem to finish them for some bizarre reason - it's like I'm not even interested in my own stories anymore. I had a heavy spring season of travel (which I can't even remember all of right now), so I think it all just overwhelmed my head and caused writer's shut down -- which, by the way, follows writer's block.

The strangest thing has happened over the past two months - I think some people in far-reaching corners of the world refer to it as "work-life balance." When summer started, all my work travel unexplainably and mysteriously came to a halt. People started acting strangely - scheduling web conferences and phone calls instead of plane trips (I think it has something to do with this "fuel surcharge" thing that I don't really understand). Anyway - so the output is I have gone without any work travel for 2+ months (which has not happened since the day I moved here almost three years ago). I have been living in London day in and day out - and it has been remarkably good for the psyche. I think this is what "normal" people must feel like. 

...So I have had a summer full of spending lots of QT with my lovely friends here in London, having tea, sleeping in on the weekends, reading tons, shopping, going to dinners, movies, theatre, calling people on the phone, cooking, a bit of running in the park, having Sunday lunch. I'm even "dating" someone - which in my life means that I can see a guy I like more than once every two months.

In July, I took a week holiday home to the States to visit my family and friends. While there, I spent a few days on Cape Cod which I love (one day I hope to "summer" there like a Kennedy). The London weather even managed to get warm-ish with honest-to-God sunshine in late July (there is seemingly no spring here, it goes straight from winter to summer - which in England is more like the U.S.'s springtime). It's kind of bliss. Don't get me wrong, work is still very busy, but it all seems somehow manageable.

I won't say any more about it though as I don't want to jinx...it's that "Jewish guilt" my mother always said I had - i.e. - I think that if God notices something good is happening to me, he'll take it all away. Oy vey - does God surf the internet and read blogs? I sure hope not. If so, I take all the balance and happiness stuff back.

Maybe I'm not writing so much lately because I'm just living versus recording. Hmmmm.....

Coming up this weekend I have a getaway planned with a friend in the Cotswolds (SE England country), and then I go to Portugal for 5 days to celebrate two friend's 35th birthdays at a seaside resort. Come September, the work travel will start up again, but why jump the gun speculating about that.

Ok, time for sleep. Which will be nice considering I just ate the biggest yummiest bowl of sweet little ripe British strawberries and a gorgeous wedge of French cheese....while listening to my favourite Counting Crowes unplugged album...all on a school night - oh the gluttony and wild abandon!

1 comment:

Martin Pearce said...

yay...she's back!!!