Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Heather's Farewell...and Two Waiters


Heather, one of my oldest and dearest friends in the two years I've been here, is leaving for Dubai tomorrow to seek out a life of fame and fortune with her beau Nick. Ok, well, he got transferred with his bank for two years and she's going because she's in love and got a nice job with Edelman's affliate there. I am positive that she....they....will be amazingly successful and have totally good times.

So we had a little goodbye dinner tonight at a totally sweet place called "Small & Beautiful" in Kilburn...underneath the Brondesbury rail track. it is a very cute little place with great food at amazingly affordable prices.

Anyway, I am sad to see her go, but looking forward to my visit to Dubai, which I predict will be sometime between the months of February and May 2008. They have a sweet pad on the beach that I plan to take full advantage of.

There were about 8 girls in attendance tonight (we talked about all sorts of good stuff....jobs, waxing, spa treatments, guys, parts of guys, you know, the usual) - but this is a picture of Heather, me, and two very attentive waiters (we did not ask them to be in this picture, but there you have it). Notice Heather's swank new haircut with the fringe. And notice how huge I look in my coat...but that's becuase the waiter was unusually small. (It is winter now in England, by the way -- temperature seemed to drop about 40 degrees today). After this picture was taken, the waiter seemed to want to kiss me inappropriately (not that there is usually an appropriate way for a random waiter to kiss you), but I resisted and sort of ran outta there. That was really weird and awkward.

Anyway, Heather has been like a little sister to me, so it was hard not to cry when I left her. But I didn't. Just a little "bon voyage" for now. As usual, I'll probably talk to her more now that we don't live in the same city than I did when we were together. It's always like that, you take for granted the people closest to you. That kinda sucks, really, don't know why that is.

I took the tube home with my friend Sarah and got off at Westminster station. I sort of felt like crying becuase I was sad to see my friend go, but then when I walked out, Big Ben was, bam, right there, huge and looming overhead, all lit up like a happy smack in the face. And then I didn't feel sad anymore...becuase it is so pretty and I was very happy to be staying/living in London. So I took a picture with my camera phone to capture the moment -- and here it is. That was good karma. Happy trails, Heather!

No comments: