Thursday, February 21, 2008

Total Eclipse of the......

MOON. Ha - As if you thought I'd be quoting that cheesy 80s song...pu-leese!



So, yes, tonight, at the tip-off from my colleague Christina (who got the tip-off from her husband over dinner via mobile phone text), I watched a bit of the last total lunar eclipse until 2010 -- from my friend Adeena's front step on Central Park West (I'm in NYC again). I missed the full monty (I was in a cab in Times Square, not good viewing conditions) but caught a bit of the umbral shadow action afterwards (very dark, smoky hazy currents moving over the moon like a big shadow). Are you impressed with my vocab? (Space.com baby!) I wanted to watch more, but had just come from dinner and really had to go to the bathroom and darn! it's cold outside, so I am now inside, warm, cosy and snacking on some Haagen-Dazs from Adeena's freezer (she is a recipe developer, food writer and chef so her refrigerator is always a good time for me).

I am here all week for work and rather crazed, but got to have dinner with Molly Saturday night and had a spa day on Sunday with Rosanne (who I will also be partying with tomorrow night). Had a two hour Thai Massage Ritual -- BLISS! I have gotten to see some other assorted friends and colleagues which is always good. But man o man is it windy and cold here. Can't beleive I'm saying this, but I do beleive I am now partial to London weather.

Ugh, SICSA (Sudden Ice Cream Stomach Ache)...

....ok, back from putting the Haagen-Dazs back in the freezer, where it belongs.

As per usual, I can't decide if I miss NYC or not. A reoccuring and subtle perplexion. Always love being back here and it's all so familiar and normal again like I never left, but it's just not mine anymore somehow. Which is ok, I get back often enough that visiting is just fine. But it's still odd, I go to the same old places I always did - but they just don't feel the same.

Guess New York's been eclipsed by London. And I think the "umbral shadow" will somehow last more than 4 hours. But that's ok, eclipses happen....something is always going to overshadow something else. That's life....that's what makes it interesting. Who knows where I'll be watching the next one from in 2010!

No comments: