Sunday, September 04, 2005

First Days in London


So, I’ve been in London for less than three days and have already decided I want to stay indefinitely. I love it here, and strangely enough, it already feels like home. I know, I know, a couple weeks ago I was lamenting over leaving my beloved New York City. What can I say, I’m a very, very fickle girl. These are the moments that reaffirm my mother's opinion that I'm a gypsy at heart.

Here's the latest on my new world:

1. My Flat: Sussex Mansions, Maiden Lane
Don’t be too envious; it’s not really a mansion, a la Richie Rich. But it is a very attractive red brick building. It’s four stories with stained glass accents on the street-facing windows and doors. The stairwells and hallways are carpeted with crazy loud green and blue plaid carpeting (it's growing on me). Fortunately, the carpet is not in the flat itself.

The flat is really great – spacious and open (unlike my closet, err, I mean, apartment, in New York), with blonde wood floors and tasteful décor and furniture. It’s all very neutral and zen. There are three windows in the living area that illuminate the space – it’s very bright and sunny. There is also a window in the bedroom and bathroom. The view overlooks the rooftops and the scaffolding on the building across the way (I wake up to painters at eye level in the morning out my windows…must remember to pull the shades). I can even see the sky. Oh, and no bars on the windows, a pleasant change from NYC. I’m on the fourth floor, but there is a lift (elevator).

I have a dishwasher and washer/dryer in my flat (the washer/dryer is combined in one machine -- don’t ask me how that works). Of course, I have no idea how to use these things, but just having them to look at is cool, I feel like a real grown-up. Perhaps one day I will attempt to use them without blowing anything up or burning anything down. I am very comfortable here.

Note to self: Get metric conversion chart, I have no idea what any of the numbers on my kitchen appliances mean.

2. My Neighborhood: Covent Garden, WC2
I think the proper New York terminology to describe my new neighborhood is “kick-a*s.” My flat is centrally located in one of the trendiest and busiest downtown neighborhoods. My street is lined with swanky bars, lounges and cafes, as well as a colorful variety of pubs and restaurants. It’s also the city’s shopping hub with enough stores to put you in debt for the rest of your life (especially given the exchange rate these days). It's also situated in the middle of the theatre district and a short walk to the Thames River, Trafalgar Square, Picadilly Circus and many pretty parks. All in the setting of beautiful old architecture, red phone booths, and rustic cobblestone streets -- which have forced me to reconsider my shoe choices since I’ll be walking to work every day – adios stilettos! My office is a ten-minute walk -- a small luxury.

In the evening, the streets are filled with people socializing and drinking and mingling outside the pubs (I, um, get the impression that British people like to drink a little). Seems to be a popular after-work and weekend destination. It’s quite a scene at night (a big tourist spot too), but my flat overlooks the back of the building so there is no noise whatsoever in my place. While not a quiet, residential neighborhood, it’s fun and perfect for a newcomer.

Note to self: Must find some friends to go to pubs with -- establish social life.

3. British Television: The Fabulous Five
Thursday afternoon, after getting settled in my flat, I went into my office and asked our HR director (who helped me get settled) what might be wrong with my TV, I was only getting five channels. To which she replied, “We only have five channels in England.”

Note: Won’t be spending too much time watching TV. Although I do love the BBC (have always been a fan of the Saturday night “Brit Block” on PBS in the U.S.)

4. English: Same Language, Different Words
In the back of my mind, I’ve been thinking of my time in England as a finishing school of sorts. English people just sound so much more polite than Americans, and seem to have a more solid baseline of good manners. It’s not necessarily what they say, just how they say it. After living in NYC, this feels like rehab.

Speaking of, a prominent news story when I arrived last week was that Tony Blair is cracking down on "anti-social behaviour," meaning he is taking initiatives that stress proper behaviour among Britain's youth (and the not-so-young as well). Hmm, novel concept!

Vocabulary tip: Pants are called “trousers” here. If you say pants, that kind of means underwear. There is a huge long list of vocabulary that I must learn asap. Otherwise, I fear I have some embarrassing times ahead (well, more than usual, at least).

5. My Neighbor: Richard
We met by the lift yesterday. I was confused by where to put the rubbish (garbage) and he told me where it goes. We moved in the same day, but he seems to know a lot more about what he's doing than I do.

6. Marks & Spencer: My New Favorite Market & One of the Reasons England Will Make Me Fat
I was under some strange delusion that I might cook here given the expense of eating out and the fact that I have a functional kitchen and dining room table in my flat. That was until I discovered Marks & Spencer, a nearby market with a dazzling selection of freshly prepared foods. Salads, soups, sandwiches, sushi, ready-to-eat dinners, pastas, sauces, cheese, bread, chocolate, pastries, fruit juices, wine, and their own brand of yogurt. Namely, a rhubarb yogurt that is to-die-for and that I will be eating every day until I am completely exhausted of rhubarb yogurt…if that’s possible. It’s heaven in a cardboard cup. Whoever said English food is bad hasn’t been here lately.

Oh, and they have a selection of potato chips here (they are called "crisps") that boggles the mind. Today, I saw "Moroccan Lamb and Mint" flavoured crisps, as well as "Thai Curry" and "Oregano, Mozzerella and Basil." Hmmm...I may have to give up real food for a diet that consists completely of snack food (Look for my upcoming book and new diet craze: "The English Crisp Diet").

7. Learn the Coins
The genetic defect I inherited from my Grandmother that requires me to always provide exact change will be aided greatly if I learn the British coins. While checking out at M&S yesterday, I was digging in my wallet for exact change, which I had to examine closely since I could not tell the value of any of the coins. Then I realized I was seriously holding up the line. As much as it pained me, I just handed over bills, but promptly came home, laid them all out on the table and memorized what’s what so I don’t find myself in that situation again.

Ok, I know, this is a travel blog, not a blog about a basket case with OCD. That will be my second blog.

8. British Magazines: They Come With Free Stuff!
My friend John told me about this, but yesterday I discovered it for myself! To get people to buy magazines, they package them with free goodies. So yesterday I bought a British issue of Marie Claire, which came with a too-cute tote bag and a sample bottle of hand lotion. Is this a great country, or what?

Note: Remember that whatever free stuff you collect, you must eventually ship home. Unless you marry Prince William and stay forever with plenty of closet space in the palace for all your free stuff. (Which I was planning on doing anyway.)

9. My Friends in London: Very Nice People
I have handful of friends in London who have all been very helpful and nice so far.

Today, my friend Stefanie (who has lived here for 8 years), came over with her friends Margo and Kim and we went to lunch. My good friend Cristina lives here too, and she came as well (she is married to John and has a precious 18-month old baby, Katie). I used to work with both Cristina and Stefanie at Porter Novelli in DC way back. (Cristina also lived in NYC before marrying John, who is British). Tomorrow, Cristina and I are driving out to John Lewis (a department store, which I have renamed "Richard Lewis" after the C-list American actor) to buy some random things I need for my flat.

My friend John and his wife Tania also live here. John is from NYC and has called me every day since I arrived telling me which newspapers to buy/read and what days certain papers come with weekly magazines (he's a news junkie like me -- loves smut and real news alike). Before I moved, John was very helpful answering all my tedious questions via phone.

I also know Ed and Gary, who I met through my friend Molly (we stayed with them last time we were visiting London).

My friend Abby from NYC and her husband (Egan) move here Tuesday. That will be nice to have another newcomer friend here as well. They are here for 2 years for Egan's job.

Finally, my boss in London -- Mitch -- is my former boss from NY (he’s in London permanently now which is sort of how I got this gig), so I am very lucky to be working with him again.

It’s going to be great to reconnect with friends on this side of the ocean and make some new ones. It’s a shame I wasn’t a military kid who moved around a lot, I kind of like being the new kid in school.

10. Jetlag
I have it bad -- didn’t sleep at all last night. But tonight I am armed with remedies: A deep bathtub, lavender bath bombs from Lush (my favorite products store), sleeping pills (over-the-counter Mom, no worries), herbal tea, and wine (only as a last-ditch resort should the first remedies fail). I’m determined to go down and get on schedule!!

It's already 11:40PM....better get started on those remedies asap.

The End of this Very Long Post...
Well, that’s all the news fit to print so far. Not all posts will be this long, but scene synopsis and character description are key to the set-up of any good story.

No comments: