Sunday, October 30, 2005

Windsor Castle

My friend Amelia and I took the train out to Windsor to tour the Queen's castle, which made for a really nice day. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I'm an audio tour junkie, so we rented hansets and spent two hours roaming the beautifully restored State Apartments (much of it was destroyed in the 1992 fire, so a massive restoration was just completed). We also got to see Queen Mary's dollhouse (rather "Twighlight Zone" if you ask me). St. George's chapel was closed since it was Sunday and services were in order, so I have to go back to see that another time. After touring the castle, we walked across the bridge to Eton, which was very pretty at sunset.

The castle is the largest in the world still used as a residence. It's impressive. And on a beautiful Fall day, it made for a lovely and interesting walkabout.

Here are some pictures!


Castle Gate





Amelia






The Queen's Jubilee Gardens


St. George's Chapel









The Big Tower





Cat at the Castle









Eaton at Sunset

No comments: