Monday, January 09, 2006

Edinburgh (pronounced "Edinbraa")

I went to Edinburgh, Scotland, like TWO MONTHS AGO and never wrote about it. I am really falling down on this blogging thing, sorry people. Not that anyone's still reading after my hypochondriac "crash" post was up for the past 2 months...hmmm, I better think about "rebranding" my blog as we say in PR.

But I diverge. Edinburgh...yes! It was very fun and I loved the city -- it's very Gothic and sinister and pretty. I know, you don't often hear "sinister" and "pretty" to describe the same thing. Hmmm, I think I would like to be sinsister and pretty! Anyway, it's a cool town with a great vibe. Only, once there, I realised that I really needed four days, not two, becuase there is so much to see. So, that means I must go back -- in springtime when I can see the country too!

I went with my friend Cristina, a darn good traveling companion. We toured the castle (very, very cool), bought some whisky, wandered the main shopping drags, ate out at a very yummy restaraunt Saturday night (called "The Grain House"), and met up with these totally fun 4 guys we met at a bar and stayed out most of the night partying with them at a series of venues -- including a vodka bar that played hip-hop (which seemed odd to me in Scotland for some reason), a pub with a live band and dancing, a kareoke bar (the guys were really into singing, it was funny), and finally, a dance club. No worries Mom, it was all innocent. ;)

On Sunday, we went to a neighboring town, called Water of Leith, where we had a nice lunch before leaving. I had the best oysters ever there....and that's saying a lot coming from a St. Mary's County, MD girl where oysters are king!

Becuase it took me a few months to write about this lovely weekend and I have forgotten the details, I'll just leave you with some pictures to show you what we saw!

The Castle! (View from our hotel too...)










Cristina at the castle. In her red hat.













To be a European city, you must have two things -- a tower and a ferris wheel!

















Cristina and I at dinner, very cozy.










View from the castle.











Torch at the castle (tres Camelot).













The Royal Mile.











The tranquil town of Water of Leith.










Dylan and Cristina being VERY serious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cat! I'm still reading - don't you worry...