Monday, January 09, 2006

Edward, For the Love of God, Please Stop Dancing With Those Scissorhands!

As a New Year's gift, my boss Mitch (and his partner Anno) treated my colleague Rory and I to the new dance production of "Edward Scissorhands" at Sadler Wells -- directed by cool choreographer Matthew Bourne.

Yes, this is the same, dark and creepy Edward Scissorhands based on the Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp.

It was very unique and artistic, although I'd say it was more pantomime than true dance performance -- a collection of musical theatre performers acting out/interpreting the movie to some very nice music.

The set was whimsical and the performance very well staged. The costumes were fantastic -- my favourite scene involved a stage full of people dressed as topiaries, dancing their hearts out. I also particularly liked the snow effects that took place throughout the play, they did a good job making it (and marketing it) as a holiday "spectacular." At the end, the whole audience was showered in fake snow (and what's not to love about that?!).

At first it made me cringe to see Edward dancing and leaping around the stage with those crazy scissorhands...I mean, the very idea that they turned this particular story into a DANCE performance makes you want to giggle, it goes against everything your mother ever told you about running and playing with scissors. But even though it took a few minutes at the opening to remove my hands from my eyes out of fear he'd take a tumble on those shiny blades, it was a giddy and fun night out.

Now I'm waiting for "I Know What You Did Last Summer -- the Ballet."

No comments: