Sunday, February 12, 2006

Lake Como

After work was finished in Milan on 3 February (and after seeing The Last Supper), I took the train to Lake Como for the weekend -- about an hour north of Milan. What a GORGEOUS place, even in winter! I stayed in the town of Como, at a cosy hotel right on the lake. Como is a sweet little town, with a few large squares, a giant cathedral (which is really beautiful inside, I went in at night), and narrow, winding, cobblestone streets. The town is framed by the mountains, and of course, the lake.

Saturday, I started the morning by taking a small tram (called the Funicolare) up the mountainside from Como to the village of Brunate. It is 2,500 feet up and affords a spectacular (though almost scary) view of Como and the surrounding area. From that height, Como looks like a toy village. After walking around Brunate a little, I came back down to Como and jumped on a ferry. Spent the rest of the day riding around on the lake, cruising past all the sweet little towns and weaving in and out bends in the lake that gave way to grand, sweeping views of the snow-covered Alps which rise majestically above the blue water. It is amazing.

On the ferry, I passed by the towns of Chiasso, Cernobbio, Tremezzo, Lenno, Urio, and Menaggio. I got off in the village of Bellagio, which was really something to behold. It is a lovely town of red- and yellow-walled buildings situated on a hillside, nestled in the Alps on the crystal lake. Since it is the off-season, not much was open, but I spent a glorious 3 hours walking around on back roads, taking in incredible vistas and looking at all the stately villas. The place was so silent, and the scenery was etheral. At times, I felt like I had the place entirely to myself as I wandered back paths, leading through empty gardens, and bottoming out on dead-end roads ending in panoramic lakefront vistas. I had about an hour to kill as I waited for the ferry back, so I sat outside at a cafe on the water where I had some wine and a ham and cheese panini. I didn't have my book or iPod, and I was sick of my Blackberry, so I just sat there in silence taking in the view and thinking about nothing in particular. Bliss.

Sunday, I took the train back to Milan. I left my suitcase in storage at the train station, then taxied quickly to Piazza del Duomo to see the inside of the Duomo (cathedral). I then grabbed a quick bite at the Galleria across the square, bought myself a pair of tan leather gloves (my hands were cold and I didn't bring my gloves...impulse buy) and then took a taxi back to the train station where I caught the bus to the airport. Got back to England later that night. It was a really nice little weekend. I just love Italy, I can't get enough of it! Everywhere I go is more enchanting than the last place!



On the ferry back from Belaggio







The Duomo in Como









View of Como from Brunate









Collection of pretty things in Belaggio











Leaving Bellagio






Pretty view









The Funicolare











Inside the Milan duomo

No comments: