Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Crying at the Movies, Alone. Again.

Happy Fourth of July to my American peeps!

So, I had big plans tonight to celebrate America's birthday by going to a concert at St. Martins in the Fields Church near my flat for a patriotic chorale concert of uplifting American music. But by the time I was about to leave work, I wasn't feeling it anymore, so I went to the movies instead.

I saw "The Lake House" starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. The movie is getting seriously ripped to shreds by the critics but I LOVED IT. If you just simply accept that much of the plot is illogical and makes no sense and stop trying to figure it out, it is a lovely, romantic, emotionally touching and beautiful piece of filmography. I was by myself, sharing the theatre with just three old ladies. At the finish, hand clutching heart and awash in tears, I turned to them and blurted "That was SO beautiful!" To which they just looked at me like I was nuts and one coldly replied, "It was filmmed very well dear but I couldn't make heads or tales of it." What a buzzkill! It was all good by me though, it was really a sweet movie. I can't imagine why it's getting such bad remarks -- people have no imagination for fantasy anymore...hmph!

It's a magical story about two people who fall in love and correspond, however, they are living two years apart...he in 2004 and she in 2006. But they inhabited the same glass lake house (hence the title) and the mailbox is the magical portal through which they exchange letters. And they have the same dog. And are trying to meet up. What's not to like about that??? I loved it loved it loved it. And I don't care what anyone says. You should see it too!

But I need to get a grip on the emotional crying outbursts. Before the movie, there was a trailer for a movie called "Paper Clips" about teaching kids in some backwater town about the Holocaust. It took me 10 minutes to stop bawling from that. Might have to put some recovery space in between before going to see that one.

No comments: